A Punchcard Web Designer has to stretch both his or her left and right brain. It’s part of the job description.
Our Web Designers get to work with our solution design team to plan apps and software development projects, as well as our development team for implementation. We’re looking for a designer with a certain style or aesthetic: someone who understands the importance of white space, margins, details, and balance, and who is particularly excited about using technology as a communications platform.
I suppose we’ll stress this: the right candidate is not an everyday designer. You must be comfortable with technology. You must want to get your hands dirty (well, as dirty as you can get writing code). You must be okay with taking creative chances.
Your skills and experience may include:
- More than a year of experience as a user experience designer, web designer, or front-end developer.*
- Familiar with responsive web design.
- Very, very comfortable with HTML and CSS.
- Perhaps some experience with web content management systems, such as WordPress, Sitecore, or SharePoint (a bonus!).
- Very detail-oriented.
- A degree or diploma in design, business, communication, or technology.
- A portfolio of related work (websites, applications, or mobile apps) that you’re excited to share with us.
In return, we promise:
- Strong, constructive leadership.
- Opportunity to be mentored by industry leaders.
- Competitive salary based on your experience.
- Paid holidays and personal time.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Professional development opportunities.
- A cool place to work in the heart of downtown Edmonton.
- A strong team that is passionate about working together.
As a start, we’d like to see some real information about you, as a professional designer. In your cover letter, tell us about:
- Your favourite tools and technologies for designing websites.
- Your preferred frameworks for design and development.
- A time when you had a challenging client interaction related to design.
- Why you’re passionate about a career in web design and development.
We always look for people who are comfortable wearing different hats, so don’t worry if you don’t think you’re a perfect fit for the role – we’re still interested in hearing from you. We imagine you’re probably pretty awesome. Also, we’d be open to a part-time or full-time candidate.
*While we appreciate folks that are right out of school, we’re not looking for new graduates at the moment. Please check back later, and we might have an opportunity in the future.